general tsao's chicken
Source of Recipe
Was | 15 POINTS
Now | 6 POINTS
Servings | 4
Preparation Time | 20 min
Cooking Time | 10 min
Level of Difficulty | Moderate
main meals | You can enjoy this Asian classic once again by sautéing – instead of deep-frying – it. Serve it over rice to sop up every drop of the sauce.
List of Ingredients
3/4 cup canned chicken broth, reduced-sodium
2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp peanut oil
2 medium scallion(s), chopped
2 medium garlic clove(s), minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or 1 dried chili pepper, minced
1 pound uncooked chicken breast, boneless and skinless, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 cup cooked white rice, kept hot
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together broth, cornstarch, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and ginger; set aside.
2. Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallions, garlic and pepper and cook 2 minutes. Add chicken and cook until browned all over, about 5 minutes.
3. Add reserved sauce and simmer until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes.
4. Serve chicken and sauce over rice. Yields about 1 cup of chicken and sauce and 1/2 cup of rice per serving.
We renovated General Tsao's Chicken by:
• Cooking the chicken in a small amount of oil, instead of deep-frying it.
• Eliminating the egg that would have been used in batter-fried chicken.
• Using reduced-sodium chicken broth and soy sauce