S. O. S. - Sh*t On A Shingle
Source of Recipe
A peculiar name for something as good as it is. The first thing my grandparents served us when I first moved to the south from New England. According to my grandfather, it is a southern dish meant to bring good luck.
List of Ingredients
- 1/2 pound ground chuck
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups water
- oil or shortening
- 1 can of evaporated milk
- toast (he always served it on toasted white bread)
- Put ground chuck, salt and pepper, & about 2 cups of water in a pot and boil it.
- In a skillet, put enough oil or shortening to cover 1/8 inch of bottom of pan.
- Add enough flour to soak up most of the oil, to 1/2 inch, stirring constantly until brown.
- Pour the meat from the pot into the skillet.
- Mix in evaporated milk, stir until creamy, adding more water if neccessary.
- Serve on toast.