Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya Light
Source of Recipe
• 1 cup sliced celery
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 1 14-1/2-ounce can low-sodium tomatoes, cut-up
• 1 14-1/2-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
• 1/2 of a 6-ounce can (1/3 cup) tomato paste
• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1-1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning or 1 recipe homemade Cajun seasoning (see recipe below)
• 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves or thighs, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
• 1-1/2 cups instant rice
• 8 ounces cooked, peeled, deveined shrimp
• 3/4 cup chopped green sweet pepper
1. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart crockery cooker combine celery, onion, undrained tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and Cajun seasoning. Stir in chicken.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Stir in rice, shrimp, and sweet pepper. Cover and let stand 10 to 15 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Makes 6 servings.
Homemade Cajun Seasoning: In a small bowl combine 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
Nutritional facts per serving
calories: 261, total fat: 2g, saturated fat: 0g, cholesterol: 118mg, sodium: 391mg, carbohydrate: 30g, fiber: 2g, protein: 30g, vitamin A: 11%, vitamin C: 54%, calcium: 6%, iron: 22%