Baked Egg Rolls w/Dipping Sauces
Source of Recipe
vegetable cooking spray
1/8 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1/2 cup egg substitute
1 3.2-ounce package fresh shiitake mushrooms, cleaned, stems removed, and thinly sliced
2 cups bean sprouts
2 cups shredded Napa cabbage
1 1/2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons water
8 7-inch egg roll wrappers
1 egg white beaten with one tablespoon water
Sweet and Hot Dipping Sauce
purchased Chinese mustard sauce (optional)
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon sugar substitute
1. Lightly coat a small nonstick saute pan with cooking spray, then add sesame oil. Place over a medium heat and add the egg substitute. Cook until set, and then turn. Slide onto a plate and cool. Slice into thin 1-inch-long strips and set aside.
2. Lightly coat a nonstick skillet big enough for the vegetables and add the mushrooms, bean sprouts, cabbage, ginger, and garlic. Stir-fry over high heat for 2 minutes.
3. Combine the cornstarch, soy sauce, and water in a cup and pour over the vegetables. Stir-fry for another minute and then remove from heat. Stir in the egg strips.
4. Lightly coat a heavy baking sheet with cooking spray.
5. To make egg rolls, place a wrapper on a work surface with 1 corner facing you. Place 1/8 of the filling in the bottom third of the wrapper. Fold the bottom corner over the filling to cover, then roll over once to enclose filling. Fold over left and right corners, then brush the sides and top of the triangle with beaten egg white. Roll, sealing the corner. Place on the prepared baking sheet, folded side down. cover while you fill the remaining wrappers. (May be made ahead to this point, covered, and refrigerated for up to 8 hours.)
6. Preheat the oven to 450ºF.
7. To prepare the sauces, spoon some of the Chinese mustard sauce (if using) into a small serving bowl. In another small serving bowl, combine the horseradish, vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar substitute, mixing well.
8. Bake the egg rolls for 4 minutes, until the bottoms brown. Turn and bake 2 to 3 minutes more, until the underside is browned. Serve immediately with the dipping sauces.
Calories 135 (8% calories from fat)
Total Fat 1g
Saturated Fat 0
Dietary Fiber 2g