Source of Recipe
2 pounds beef round steak, 1 inch thick
2 tablespoons shortening or bacon fat
3 large onions, sliced
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (2 1/2 cups)
2 tablespoons Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon snipped fresh marjoram leaves or 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
1/2 teaspoon snipped fresh thyme leaves or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup beef bouillon
1 cup red Burgundy or other dry red wine or tomato juice
1. Cut beef into 1-inch cubes. Melt shortening in Dutch oven.
2. Cook beef in shortening over medium heat until brown; remove. Cook onions and mushrooms in Dutch oven, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender, adding shortening if neccessary. Remove mushrooms and onions; cover and refrigerate.
3. Return beef to Dutch oven; sprinkle with flour, salt, marjoram, thyme and pepper. Stir in bouillon and Burgundy.
4. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 1 1/4 hours or until beef is tender. (Liquid should just cover beef.) If necessary, stir in additional bouillon and Burgundy (1 part bouillon to 2 parts Burgundy).
5. Add mushrooms and onions; heat through, stirring occasionally.