Down Home Chicken and Biscuits
Source of Recipe
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
• 1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
• 1 can (14-1/2 oz.) fat-free chicken broth plus enough water to equal 3 cups
• 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
• 1 cup thick-sliced carrots
• 2 cups diced (1-inch) yellow squash
• 1 cup trimmed, halved green beans
• 1/2 cup chopped green onions
• 3 tablespoons cornstarch
• 1 cup fat-free milk, divided
• 1/2 teaspoon dried dillweed
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• Pinch dried thyme
• 1 cup frozen peas
• Vegetable cooking spray
1. Make Biscuits: Heat oven to 425 degree F. Lightly coat cookie sheet with vegetable cooking spray. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and the 1/4 teaspoon salt in large bowl. With pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk just until dough holds together. Drop by tablespoons onto prepared cookie sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Makes 1 dozen.
2. Meanwhile, bring broth and water mixture to boil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add chicken; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until cooked through. With slotted spoon, transfer chicken to plate. Add carrots to saucepan and cook 7 minutes. Add squash, green beans, and green onions; cook 2 minutes more. With slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to plate.
3. Heat broth mixture over medium-low heat 1 minute. Stir cornstarch into 1/4 cup of the milk until smooth. Whisk into broth mixture along with remaining 3/4 cup milk, dill, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, the pepper, and thyme. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces. Stir chicken, peas, and cooked vegetables into sauce; cook until heated through. Transfer to warm shallow 2-quart casserole. Top with Biscuits and serve immediately. Makes 6 servings.
*Note: To make 1/2 cup sour milk, place 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1/2 cup liquid; stir. Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes before using it in a recipe.
Nutritional facts per serving
calories: 290, total fat: 7g, saturated fat: 1.5g, cholesterol: 46mg, sodium: 848mg, carbohydrate: 32g, protein: 24g