Hot Oriental Beef and Pasta
Source of Recipe
• 12 ounces boneless beef top sirloin steak, cut 1 inch thick
• 4 ounces packaged dried spaghetti or vermicelli, broken, or rotini
• 1/4 cup orange juice
• 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
• 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
• 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
• 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
• Nonstick spray coating
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 10 ounces fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
• 1 medium carrot, cut into thin strips
• 1 small red onion, cut into wedges
1. Trim fat from beef. Partially freeze beef. Thinly slice across the grain into bite-size strips. Set aside.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions, except omit any oil and salt. Drain pasta. Cover and keep warm.
3. Meanwhile, for sauce, stir together orange juice, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, and red pepper. Set aside.
4. Spray an unheated wok or 12-inch skillet with nonstick coating. Preheat over medium-high heat until a drop of water sizzles. Add garlic; stir-fry for 15 seconds. Add asparagus and carrot; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add onion; stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes more or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove vegetables from wok or skillet.
5. Add beef to wok or skillet. Stir-fry about 3 minutes or until desired doneness.
6. Return vegetables to wok or skillet. Drizzle sauce over all. Toss to coat all ingredients. Heat through. Serve over pasta. Makes 4 servings.