Lemon Shrimp and Asparagus
Source of Recipe
• 12 ounces fresh or frozen peeled and deveined medium shrimp
• 2/3 cup water
• 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
• 3 tablespoons lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
• 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
• 1 tablespoon cooking oil
• 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 pound fresh asparagus*, woody ends trimmed, and bias-cut into 1-inch pieces (3 cups)
• 4 green onions, sliced (1/2 cup)
• 2 cups hot cooked rice
• Lemon slices (optional)
1. Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Set aside.
2. For sauce, in a small bowl stir together water, lemon peel, lemon juice, brown sugar, cornstarch, and bouillon granules. Set aside.
3. Pour cooking oil into a wok or large skillet. (Add more oil as necessary during cooking.) Preheat over medium-high heat. Stir-fry ginger and garlic for 15 seconds. Add asparagus; stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove asparagus from the wok.
4. Add shrimp to the hot wok. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp turn opaque. Push shrimp from the center of the wok.
5. Stir sauce. Add sauce to center of wok. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Return cooked asparagus to wok. Add green onions. Stir all ingredients together to coat with sauce. Cook and stir about 1 minute more or until heated through. Serve immediately over hot cooked rice. Garnish with lemon slices, if desired. Makes 4 servings.
*Note: When buying fresh asparagus, look for thin spears that are less than 1/2-inch thick in diameter. Thick spears may be tough and stringy.
Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare vegetables; cover and chill up to 4 hours before cooking.
Nutritional facts per serving
calories: 248, total fat: 5g, saturated fat: 1g, cholesterol: 131mg, sodium: 372mg, carbohydrate: 34g, protein: 18g