Source of Recipe
• Nonstick cooking spray or cooking oil
• 5 green onions, sliced (about 1/3 cup)
• 1/2 of a small red and/or yellow sweet pepper, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
• 1/2 of a medium carrot, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
• 2 slightly beaten egg whites
• 1/2 cup finely crushed saltine crackers (14 crackers)
• 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
• 2 tablespoons bottled chili sauce
• 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil or oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil or oregano, crushed
• 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
• 1/4 cup bottled chili sauce
• 1 tablespoon brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon vinegar
1. Lightly coat a small skillet with cooking spray or cooking oil. Add the green onion, sweet pepper, and carrot. Cook over medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
2. Combine egg whites, crushed crackers, milk, the 2 tablespoons chili sauce, basil or oregano, and black pepper in a large mixing bowl. Add the cooked vegetables and ground beef; mix well.
3. Pat meat mixture firmly into a 7-1/2 x 3-1/2x2-inch loaf pan. Invert pan with meat mixture into a shallow baking pan; remove loaf pan. Bake meat loaf in a 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, for glaze, stir together the 1/4 cup chili sauce, brown sugar, and vinegar in a small mixing bowl. Spoon glaze over meat loaf. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes more or until no pink remains and an instant read thermometer registers 160 degree F. Transfer meat loaf to a platter. To serve, cut into slices. Makes 6 servings.
Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare meat loaf as directed above, except do not shape and bake. Cover bowl; chill meat mixture up to 24 hours. Shape meat loaf as directed. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for about 40 minutes or until meat loaf is nearly done. Spoon the glaze over meat loaf and bake about 15 minutes more or until done.
Nutritional facts per serving
calories: 190, total fat: 8g, saturated fat: 3g, cholesterol: 48mg, sodium: 352mg, carbohydrate: 12g, fiber: 0g, protein: 16g, vitamin C: 16%, iron: 13%