Sesame Chicken and Vegetables
Source of Recipe
• 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breasts
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons chicken broth
• 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
• 1 tablespoon snipped parsley
• 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
• 1-1/2 teaspoons sesame seed
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1-1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
• 1 tablespoon sesame oil
• 1-1/2 cups thinly bias-sliced carrots
• 1 cup jicama, cut into thin, bite-sized strips
• 6 ounces fresh medium pea pods, strings removed or one 6-ounce package frozen pea pods
• Hot cooked brown rice
Cut chicken into bite-sized strips. For marinade, in a shallow nonmetallic dish combine soy sauce, chicken broth, green onion, parsley, rice vinegar, sesame seed, garlic, and ginger. Add chicken to marinade, stirring to coat. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
Add 1 tablespoon sesame oil to wok or 12-inch skillet. Preheat over medium-high heat (add more oil if necessary during cooking). Stir-fry carrots in hot oil for 1 minute. Add jicama and fresh pea pods (if using); stir-fry about 2 to 3 minutes more or until crisp-tender. Remove vegetables from wok. Drain chicken, reserving marinade. Add chicken to wok; stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until no longer pink. Push chicken from center of wok.
Add reserved marinade to center of wok. Cook and stir until bubbly. Return cooked vegetables to wok. Add frozen pea pods (if using). Stir to coat. Cook and stir about 1 minute more or until heated through. Serve immediately over hot cooked brown rice, spooning sauce over top. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional facts per serving
calories: 304, total fat: 8g, saturated fat: 1g, cholesterol: 45mg, sodium: 621mg, carbohydrate: 37g, protein: 22g