Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
Source of Recipe
• 1/2 pound lean ground beef
• 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 1/2 cup chopped carrot
• 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
• 1/4 cup chopped celery
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 14-1/2-ounce can tomatoes, cut up
• 1/4 cup water or dry red wine
• 1/2 of a 6-ounce can (1/3 cup) tomato paste
• 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
• 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
• 1 small bay leaf
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon pepper
• 1 teaspoon cornstarch
• 6 ounces spaghetti
In a large saucepan cook meat, mushrooms, onion, carrot, green pepper, celery, and garlic until meat is brown and vegetables are tender. Drain off fat.
Stir in undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, water or wine, basil, oregano, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf.
Combine cornstarch and 1 tablespoon cold water. Stir into sauce. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain well. Serve sauce over spaghetti. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional facts per serving
calories: 318, total fat: 6g, cholesterol: 40mg, sodium: 529mg, carbohydrate: 47g, protein: 20g