Spicy Thai Ginger Beff
Source of Recipe
• 12 ounces beef top round steak
• 1 tablespoon fish sauce
• 1 tablespoon water
• 1 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
• 1 tablespoon lime juice
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1 tablespoon cooking oil
• 2 medium zucchini, cut into julienne strips (2 cups)
• 6 green onions, bias-cut into 1-inch pieces (1 cup)
• 1 fresh, pickled, or canned jalapeno pepper, seeded, and finely chopped
• 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 cups hot cooked rice sticks or rice
• 2 tablespoons snipped cilantro
1. Trim fat from beef. Partially freeze beef. Thinly slice across grain into bite-size strips. Set aside.
2. For sauce, in a small bowl stir together fish sauce, water, lime peel, lime juice, and sugar. Set aside.
3. Pour cooking oil into a wok or large skillet. (Add more oil as necessary during cooking.) Preheat over medium-high heat. Stir-fry zucchini in hot oil for 1 to 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove zucchini from the wok. Add green onions to the hot wok; stir-fry for 1 -1/2 minutes. Remove green onions from the wok.
4. Add jalapeno pepper, ginger, and garlic to the hot wok. Stir-fry for 15 seconds. Add beef; stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until cooked through. Return zucchini and green onions to the wok.
5. Add sauce. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more or until heated through. Serve immediately with hot cooked rice sticks or rice. Sprinkle with cilantro. Makes 3 servings.
Make-ahead tip: Prepare vegetables; cover and chill up to 4 hours.
Nutritional facts per serving
calories: 339, total fat: 10g, saturated fat: 3g, cholesterol: 74mg, sodium: 242mg, carbohydrate: 30g, protein: 31g