Source of Recipe
• 8 ounces dried cavatelli
• 1 14-1/2-ounce can whole Italian-style tomatoes
• 1/2 of a 6-ounce can (1/3 cup) Italian-style tomato paste
• 1/4 cup dry red wine or tomato juice
• 1/2 teaspoon sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 1/4 cup sliced, pitted ripe olives
• 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (2 ounces)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well. Set aside. Meanwhile, in a blender container, combine undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, sugar, oregano, and pepper. Cover; blend until smooth. Set aside.
2. In a large skillet, cook ground beef and onion until beef is no longer pink. Drain well. Stir in tomato mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in pasta and olives.
3. Spoon the pasta mixture into a 2-quart casserole. Bake, covered, in a 375 degree F oven for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, about 5 minutes more or until heated through.
4. (Or, chill unbaked casserole, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes more.) Makes 6 main-dish servings or 8 to 10 potluck servings.