Worlds Best French Onion Soup
Source of Recipe
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 2-1/2 pounds onions, thinly sliced
• 4 cans (14-1/2 oz. each) beef broth, divided
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 sprig fresh parsley
• 1 large sprig fresh thyme
• 2 tablespoons Madeira or sherry
• Salt and freshly ground pepper
• 8 3/4-inch-thick slices French bread
• 2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
1. Heat oven to 400 degree F. On stove top, heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and stir often until softened and golden brown, about 35 minutes. Increase heat to high and pour in 1/2 cup broth, stirring until most of the broth has evaporated and onions are browning again. Continue until you have used up 2 cups of the broth.
2. Wrap bay leaf, parsley, and thyme in cheesecloth. Add to soup, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Season with Madeira and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Toast bread in oven on a cookie sheet, 5 minutes. Divide the soup among 8 ovenproof bowls. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of cheese over each, then top with bread and 2 tablespoons more cheese. Place bowls on cookie sheet and bake until the cheese bubbles, 10 minutes. Makes 8 servings.