Golden Scalloped Potatoes with Chives
Source of Recipe
Olive or vegetable oil spray
1 garlic clove, split
1 teaspoon butter
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, plus additional to taste
2 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced [see note]
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups lowfat milk
1 cup defatted lower-sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons snipped chives
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat a 2-quart baking dish with oil spray and rub with the cut sides of the garlic clove.
2. Melt the butter in a medium-sized skillet. Add the onion and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until it begins to soften, about 4 minutes. Add the salt and pepper and stir to continue.
3. Cover the bottom of the baking dish with about one third of the potatoes. Spread with half the onion mixture and sprinkle with half the flour. Make another layer of potatoes and spread with the remaining onions and flour. Top with a layer of potatoes.
4. Heat the milk and broth to simmer in a saucepan and pour over the potatoes. The liquid should come just to the top of the potatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5. Bake, uncovered, until the potatoes are soft and most of the liquid is absorbed, 50 to 60 minutes. Sprinkles with chives before serving.
Makes 6 side-dish servings.
Nutritional information per serving:
About 193 calories, 17 calories from fat, 2g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 247mg sodium, 38g total carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 7g protein.
Note: If you can't find Yukon Gold potatoes, you can substitute all-purpose potatoes, decreasing the flour in the recipe to 1 tablespoon.