Macaroni and Beef Pronto
Source of Recipe
Mueller's Classic Recipes Cookbook
List of Ingredients
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained, reserving liquid
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- one-fourth teaspoon tarragon leaves, if desired
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- one-fourth teaspoon pepper
- one-eighth teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon salt (optional)
- 3 quarts boiling water
- 8 ounces (3 cups) ready-cut macaroni
- one-half cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- In large skillet of pot saute mushrooms, onion, and tarragon in oil until onion is crisp-tender. Add beef; brown lightly. Stir in 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, garlic powder, tomato sauce, and reserved mushroom liquid. Simmer uncovered 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, add 1 tablespoon salt (optional) to rapidly boiling water. Gradually add macaroni so that water continues to boil. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, 9 to 12 minutes until desired tenderness. Drain in colander.
- Add macaroni to skillet; mix with meat and sauce. Sprinkle cheese on top; cover and heat a minute until cheese melts.
- NOTE: In place of ready-cut, use elbow macaroni.
- Yield 4 to 6 servings