Macaroni and Cheese Souperb
Source of Recipe
Mueller's Classic Recipes Cookbook
List of Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon salt (optional)
- 3 quarts boiling water
- 4 ounces (1 cup) elbow macaroni
- one fourth cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 can (10 and a half ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- three-fourths cup of milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheese (use mild or sharp process or Cheddar, as you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons buttered bread crumbs
- Add 1 tablespoon salt (optional) to rapidly boiling water. Gradually add macaroni so that water continues to boil. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, 6 to 7 minutes. Drain in colander.
- Meanwhile, in saucepan, cook onion in butter until crisp-tender. Stir in soup, milk, and about three-fourths of the cheese; heat, stirring occasionally, until cheese melts.
- In a one and a half quart casserole, combine sauce and macaroni; sprinkle remaining cheese and crumbs on top. Bake at 350 F. about 30 minutes or until nicely browned and bubbling.
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings