Mushrooms Stuffed With Crabmeat & Gruyre
Source of Recipe
List of Ingredients
1/2 lb Crabmeat; flaked
5 tb Butter
3 tb Onion; chopped
3 tb Flour
1 c Milk
1/8 ts Salt
pn Cayenne pepper
2 tb Parmesan cheese; grated
2 tb Bread crumbs; dried
1 tb Parsley; chopped
24 md Mushrooms; stems removed
2 tb Dry sherry
6 tb Gruyere cheese; grated
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Carefully pick over the crabmeat to remove any cartilage and shell fragment Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a saute pan. Add the onions and saute over medium heat until translucent, about 3 minutes.
3. Add the floour and co an additional 3 minutes. Then add the milk and cook 5 to 6 minutes more, stirring, until thick and creamy. Do not let the mixture scorrch. Remove from heat. Add the crabmeat, salt cayenne pepper, and Parmesan cheese to the pan and combine well.
4. Stir in the bread crumbs and parsley. At this point the mixture should be as thick as a stuffing. Allow it to cool to room temperature. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of of butter in another saute pan, and saute the mushroom caps until tender, about 3 minutes.
5. While the is still hot, pour in the sherry and carefully light it with a match. Drai the caps and allow them to cool. Mound 1 tablespoon of the stuffing in each mushroom cap, and sprinkle them with the Gruyere cheese.
6. Place caps on a greased baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, until bubbling Serve hot.
Serves 4 as an appetizer, and more as an hors d''oeuvre.