Cherry Cream Cheese Brunch Cake
Source of Recipe
List of Ingredients
3/4 Butter Flavor CRISCOŽ Stick or 3/4 cup Butter Flavor CRISCOŽ all-vegetable shortening plus additional for greasing
2-1/2 cups cake flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup (8 ounces) dairy sour cream
1 teaspoon pure almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cake flour
2 tablespoons Butter Flavor CRISCOŽ Stick or 2 tablespoons Butter Flavor CRISCOŽ all-vegetable shortening
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup canned cherry pie filling
1/8 teaspoon pure almond extract
Reserved 1 cup crumb mixture
1/2 cup sliced almonds
Additional sliced almonds, toasted**
**To toast nuts, spread on baking sheet. Bake at 350°F for 5 to 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 9-inch springform pan.* Flour lightly.
2. For cake, combine 2-1/2 cups flour and 3/4 cup sugar in large bowl. Add 3/4 cup shortening. Beat at low speed of electric mixer until coarse crumbs form. Reserve 1 cup crumbs for topping.
3. Add sour cream, egg, 1 teaspoon almond extract, 1 teaspoon vanilla, baking powder, baking soda and salt to remaining crumb mixture in bowl. Beat at medium speed until well blended. Spread batter in bottom and 2 inches up side of pan.
4. For filling, combine cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, 2 tablespoons shortening and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in medium bowl. Beat until blended. Add egg. Beat just until blended. Pour over batter. Combine pie filling and 1/8 teaspoon almond extract in small bowl. Spread over cream cheese mixture.
5. For topping, combine reserved 1 cup crumbs and 1/2 cup almonds. Sprinkle over filling.
6. Bake at 350°F for 1 hour 5 minutes or until filling is set in center, crust is deep golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out fairly dry except for pie filling. Do not overbake. Cover edge of cake with foil, if necessary, to prevent overbrowning. Sprinkle additional nuts around edge and over top of cake. Cool 15 to 20 minutes. Loosen cake from side of pan with knife or metal spatula. Remove side of pan. Cool completely. Remove bottom of pan using thin metal spatula or pancake turner. Place cake on serving plate. Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving time. Refrigerate leftovers.
*Bake cake in 9-inch heart-shaped springform pan, if desired