Chocolate Brownies with Halvah Cheesecak
Source of Recipe
Yield: Twenty-four 2-inch brownies
Difficulty: * (Easy)
Preparation: 25 minutes plus baking and cooling times
List of Ingredients
Halvah Cheesecake Topping:
2 ounces halvah
7 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon orange juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 bars (1.5 ounces each) Godiva Dark Chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup plus 6 tablespoons (2 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into chunks
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1 3/4 cups cake flour, sifted
3/4 cup (about 3 1/2 ounces) hazelnuts, toasted and skinned*
3/4 cup (about 3 1/2 ounces) pistachio nuts
1/2 tablespoon unsweetened, alkalized cocoa powder
*To toast the hazelnuts, position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Spread the nuts in a single layer in a jelly roll pan and toast for 10 to 15 minutes, until the nuts are golden beneath their skins, shaking the pan two or three times during baking. Wrap the nuts in a clean towel and cool completely. Rub the nuts back and forth between the folds of the towel to remove the loose skins.
Make the halvah cheesecake topping:
1. Place the halvah on a work surface and mash with the tines of a fork until finely crumbled. Set aside.
2. Place cream cheese in mixing bowl. Beat on low speed until smooth, using electric mixer. Add the sugar and beat until well blended. Add crumbled halvah. Beat in the egg and then yolk. Add sour cream, orange juice and vanilla extract and mix until blended. Set aside.
Make the brownies:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Butter 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Line pan with parchment paper (or aluminum foil) so that the paper extends 2 inches beyond the long sides of pan. Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place chocolate and butter in top of double boiler over hot, not simmering, water. Heat until chocolate melts. Remove and let cool.
3. Whip eggs and sugar in large mixer bowl until pale and thickened, about 5 minutes, using electric mixer at high speed. Fold into warm chocolate mixture. Fold in flour.
4. Spread about 1 generous cup of batter in prepared pan. Sprinkle with hazelnuts and pistachios. Spread the remaining batter on top. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the top begins to set. Remove pan from oven and reduce oven temperature to 300°F.
5. Spread the halvah cheesecake mixture on top of the brownie in an even layer. Bake until set, about 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack. When brownies are completely cooled, using the two ends of parchment paper as handles, lift the brownies out of the pan. Dust with cocoa powder. Cut into 2-inch brownies.