White Chocolate-Coconut Cheesecake
Source of Recipe
Yield: 12 servings
Difficulty: ** (Intermediate)
Preparation: 1 hour plus baking, cooling and chilling times
List of Ingredients
Chocolate Macadamia Nut Crust:
1 cup chocolate wafer crumbs
1/2 cup macadamia nuts, coarsely ground
1/4 cup sweetened coconut, lightly toasted
5 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup sweetened coconut, lightly toasted
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
1 cup milk
3/4 cup sweetened coconut, lightly toasted
3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons dark rum
4 bars (1.5 ounces each) Godiva Solid Ivory, chopped
1/2 cup chocolate wafer crumbs
Godiva Solid Ivory, cut into curls (optional)
Make the chocolate macadamia nut crust:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Mix together cookie crumbs, macadamia nuts and coconut in bowl. Add butter and mix well. Press mixture in bottom of 9-inch springform pan.
3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until the crust is puffy and bounces back when gently pressed with a finger. Cool on a wire rack.
4. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until no imprint remains when touched lightly with finger. Cool in pan on wire rack. When cooled, wrap the bottom of springform pan, using two large sheets of heavy-duty aluminum foil.
Prepare the coconut topping:
Mix together coconut, flour and salt in bowl. Add butter and mix until crumbly. Refrigerate until needed.
Make the filling:
1. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
2. Combine milk and toasted coconut in saucepan. Heat to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cover. Let steep for 30 minutes. Pour mixture through a strainer, pressing the solids to extract all the liquid, making 3/4 cup.
3. Beat cream cheese in mixing bowl until smooth, using electric mixer at medium speed. Add sugar and beat until blended. Add cornstarch and beat well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in reserved coconut milk, vanilla and rum. Pour mixture into prepared pan and sprinkle with solid ivory chunks. Sprinkle coconut topping over center of cheesecake, leaving 1-inch border around rim of cheesecake. Place cheesecake in roasting pan. Pour boiling water into roasting pan so that water comes halfway up side of springform pan.
4. Bake 70 to 80 minutes or until edge is puffy and center quivers. Turn off oven and leave cheesecake in oven for 30 minutes more. Prop oven door open.
5. Remove cheesecake from roasting pan. Loosen cheesecake around edge using a small knife. (This will prevent top from cracking.) Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Refrigerate uncovered for 8 hours or overnight.
Garnish the cheesecake:
Remove side of springform pan. Gently press cookie crumbs onto side of cheesecake. Dust top with confectioners' sugar and decorate with chocolate curls, if desired.