Handmade Turtle Tablets
Source of Recipe
Yield: 8 servings
Difficulty: *** (Advanced)
Preparation: 1 1/2 hours plus cooling and chilling times
Special Equipment: 8 plastic (chocolate) tablet molds
List of Ingredients
9 bars (1.5 ounces each) Godiva Solid Ivory, chopped
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons water
1 cup heavy cream, warmed
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
2 cups whole pecans
1/4 cup light corn syrup
10 bars (1.5 ounces each) Godiva Dark Chocolate, coarsely chopped
Make the caramel filling:
1. Place solid ivory in medium bowl and set aside.
2. Place sugar and water in heavy bottomed saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Stop stirring and increase heat to high. Cook, occasionally brushing down sides of pan with wet pastry brush, until mixture turns dark golden brown. Slowly and carefully add warm heavy cream and salt and mix until combined and smooth. Pour hot mixture over chopped chocolate and let stand for a minute to allow chocolate to melt. Stir until combined; add butter, and mix until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
Make the candied pecans:
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Place pecans in medium bowl. Place corn syrup in heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat and cook until very warm. Pour over pecans and toss until pecans are fully coated.
2. Place on a parchment paper- or foil-lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Place baking sheet on wire rack and cool completely.
1. Place wire rack over foil-lined baking sheet. Place chocolate in microwavable bowl. Microwave on medium (50% power) for 1 1/2 minutes. Stir. Continue microwaving and stirring in 1 1/2-minute intervals until chocolate is melted and smooth.
2. Fill tablet molds with chocolate, then turn them upside down onto rack to allow excess to drip out. After a few minutes, when chocolate just begins to set, scrape edges of cavities with dull side of chef's knife to make a clean edge. When chocolate has completely set, fill with caramel filling to about 1/8 inch from top, spreading it evenly with small offset spatula. Place in refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
3. Remove from refrigerator. Cover filling with a thin layer of melted chocolate to seal. Let set at room temperature for 5 minutes. Sprinkle chocolate with a few candied pecans, pressing them very lightly onto chocolate. Return to refrigerator for another 30 minutes or until set. Remove from refrigerator. Invert gently to release tablets from molds.