Angel Food Cake with Berry Icing
Source of Recipe
List of Ingredients
1 cup cake flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
12 egg whites
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups powdered sugar
1 dash salt
1/4 cup fresh berries (any kind), crushed
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Wash and dry your 10 inch tube pan to make sure there isn't any oil residue on the pan.
2. Sift together the flour, and 3/4 cup of sugar. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whip the egg whites, vanilla, cream of tartar and salt to medium stiff peaks. Slowly add the rest of the sugar while continuing to whip. When you have stiff peaks, fold in the sifted ingredients one third at a time. Don't over mix. Pour the batter into the ungreased tube pan.
4. Bake 40 - 45 minutes until the cake springs back when touched. Balance the tube pan upside while cooling. When cool, run a knife around the edge of the pan and invert onto a plate.
5. Icing: Add the sugar and salt to your crushed fruit. Mix well. Add just enough lemon juice so the icing is thin enough to spread on the cake.