The Harley Hawg Sandwich from David
Source of Recipe
List of Ingredients
the Harley Hawg Sandwich from David
6 to 8 lb. pork butt,
1 cup Kosher salt
1 cup course ground black pepper
1 cup paprika (sweet Hungarian is best)
2 cups hickory wood chips
1 cup apple wood chips
2 large onions, chopped
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
5 1/4 cups (42 ounces) canned tomatoes, with juice
3 cups cider vinegar
1 3/4 cups ketchup
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup brown mustard
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon coarse black pepper
large round rolls
1. Combine all of the rub ingredients. Coat the pork butt evenly with
mixture, shaking off any excess.
2. Soak wood chips in water 30 minutes. Place pork butt in a smoker on rack
at 220 degrees for 8 hours, with smoke going for 2 hours. Let it cool slightly.
Break the meat apart with your hands.
3. Sauté' onions in oil in heavy saucepan until translucent. Add the
remaining ingredients and cook until mixture is thick and coats the back of a spoon.
Puree the sauce and let it cool. (Sauce can be made 2 to 3 days in advance and refrigerated.)
4. Combine the pork and the sauce (to taste) in a heavy saucepan. Cook until
it is heated through.
5. To serve: Pile the pork on the rolls. Serve with french fries and cole
slaw if desired.