List of Ingredients
- 4 quarts small cucumbers
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 quart boiling water
- 1 1/2 pints vinegar
- 1 1/2 pounds granulated sugar
- 1/2 oz celery seed
- 1/2 oz allspice
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- Wash the cucumbers and place in a stone jar or crock.
- To make the brine: In a large pot, add salt to boiling water; allow to cool before pouring over the cucumbers.
- Allow to stand over night.
- Drain brine off the cucumbers and wash in clear water.
- To make the syrup: In a large pot, add vinegar, sugar and spices; bring to a boil.
- Cool slightly and pour over the cucumbers. Seal in an air tight stone container.
- Leave for at least two weeks.
The gherkins will take on a shrivelled appearance, but will become plump again after several days in the syrup.