Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Source of Recipe
List of Ingredients
6/19/2005 3:11:41 PM report this post | ground rules
Here is our favorite. Everyone I make this for loves it, esp DF and me.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
In slow cooker or on stove combine all of the following:
• 1 ½ lbs skinless, boneless chicken or turkey cooked and shredded or chopped. (Use the 18 oz carton Old El Paso/Ortega/Lloyds chicken taco meat in a pinch but be aware if you use this that it is already spiced, so go easier on the spices if you have mild preferences. Regular chicken is best though)
• 1-15oz can of whole tomatoes
• 1-10oz can enchilada sauce
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1- 4 oz can green chilies
• 1 minced garlic clove
• 2 -14 oz cans of low fat, low sodium chicken broth
• 1 teaspoon each: cumin and chili powder (adjust to taste)
• ¼ teaspoon black pepper
• 1 bay leaf
• 10 - oz frozen corn
• Add water, if needed.
Cook in slow cooker for 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 on high
On stove top, cook until done – about 20 minutes minimum.
Garnish w/ dollop of fat free sour cream and crushed tortilla strips (or baked Doritos, and cilantro.
I like to also squeeze some lime juice in at the end. WW