Deep Fried Stuffed Tuna Shells
These are listed as appetizers, but also make a great main dish.
List of Ingredients
- 16 Jumbo Shells
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 can tuna, drained
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons green onions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon basil, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten (for dipping)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2/3 cups bread crumbs
- Oil or shortening for deep frying.
- Cook shells in boiling salt water till done. Immediately drain in a colander. Rinse with cold water; drain.
- stir together the beaten egg, tuna, cheese, green onion,basil, and pepper. Stuff the shells with the tuna mixture.
Stir together the beaten egg and water. Dip each shell in the egg mixtue and roll in bread crumbs
- Fry in deep hot cooking oil a few at a time for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes or till golden brown. Drain on paper towling
- Serve with tartar sauce or cocktail sauce if desired.
Makes 16 appetizers.