Spiced Cranberry-nut muffins
This is one of my hubby's special recipes. He makes these every year at Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.
List of Ingredients
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar (another 1/4 cup)
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3/4 cup orange juice (I buy oranges and make fresh orange juice)
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Coarsely chop cranberries. Toss cranberries with 1/4 cup sugar; set aside.
- In mixing bowl stir together the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, and 1 teaspoon salt; make a well in cente
- Combine egg, orange peel, orange juice, and melted butter; add all at once to dry ingredientes, stirring just till moistened (batter will be lumpy)
- Fill greased or paper cups 2/3 full. Bake in 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or till golden brown
We have found through trial and error, that greasing the muffin cups and omitting the paper cups works better. The muffins tend to stick to the paper.