CHOCOLATE CAKE, GRANNIE'S
This is the cake Grandmother Andrews made. When we got ready for the 3 hour trip home from Howard, I would take one piece in each hand to eat on the trip home.
List of Ingredients
- 2 C. sugar
- 2/3 C. oleo
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ C. cocoa dissolved in 1 C. water
- 1 t. soda dissolved in ½ C. sour milk (1 T. vinegar added to 1 C. milk makes it sour)
- 2¼ C. sifted flour
- 4 beaten egg whites (peaks)
- Cream sugar, butter, mix in egg yolks.
- Add cocoa and water to creamed mixture.
- Add soda and sour milk alternately with flour.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Bake in 350° over for 35 minutes.
- The traditional frosting was a fudge that hardened that had to be cut with a hot knife.