TOFFEE MERINGUE COOKIES
Source of Recipe
Double recipe. Dec. 2017
List of Ingredients
- 3 large egg whites at room temperature
- 1/8 t. cream of tartar
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- 1/8 t. salt
- 3/4 C. sugar
- 1/2 C. chocolate covered toffee bits - or more
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in deep bowl until just soft peaks form.
- Add vanilla and salt. Add sugar 1 T. at a time while mixer is running.
- Scrape inside of bowl and beat another 15 seconds until meringue forms stiff peaks.
- Fold in toffee bits.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Drop meringue by the spoon full (about golf ball size) onto sheets or fill a piping bag with a large tip.
- Bake until meringues feel dry and set when touched but are still pale, 30 - 35 minutes. Switch pan positions halfway through.
- Turn off oven, open door and let cookies stand about 10 minutes. Let cool on pans.
- Make ahead, up to 2 days, store in airtight container.