Source of Recipe
A typical zesty recipes for a Chicken Curry - the most well known dish from the sub-continent of India and Pakistan
List of Ingredients
- 2-5 lbs chicken in pieces
- 3 large Onions
- 10 cloves garlic
- 2 TBSP chopped fresh ginger
- 2 heaped TBSP ground coriander
- 2 heaped TSP ground cumin
- 1 heaped TSP red chili powder
- 1 level TBSP black pepper
- 1/4 TBSP turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 cloves
- 6 black cardamoms (bari Iliachi)
- 2 inch cinnamon sticks
- 1-19 oz can of stewed tomatoes OR (EITHER USE THE YOGURT OR THE TOMATOES)
- 1 cup yogurt, beaten
- 2 TSP salt
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup water
- Wash the chicken pieces, drain and set aside.
- Finely chop the onions in a food processor and keep aside.
Now place garlic and ginger in the food processor and blend
to a paste. Add coriander, cumin, chili powder black pepper,
turmeric and blend well. Transfer to a small bowl and add
cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaves to it. Set aside
- Put tomatoes and salt in the food processor (no need to
clean the bowl) and blend well.
- Heat oil in a large pressure cooker. When hot add chopped
onions and carefully fry to a golden brown, stirring
- Remove the onions with a perforated slice. Drain half the
oil, keeping the other half in the pressure cooker. Return
browned onions to cooker and add all the spices and fry on
medium heat until the oil separate from the gravy, about 5
- Add the chicken pieces stir well and fry on high heat for
about 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add tomato mixture and water. Bring to boil, stir and cook
for 10- 12 minutes under pressure.
- Remove from heat, lower pressure by running cold water
over cooker. Transfer to a serving dish. Serve with rice or Nan bread.
Remove from heat, lower pressure by running cold water
over cooker. Transfer to a serving dish. Serve with rice or Nan.
Use 1 cup of plain yogurt instead of the tomatoes.
This recipe serves 6 people.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes.
Cooking Time: 45 minutes.
Try Raita( yogurt condiment) with this dish.
Try it with Naan or Routi(thin bread)
RECIPE CONTINUESPREV SECTION | NEXT SECTION