Source of Recipe
Combination of newspaper recipe and one from a friend
List of Ingredients
- One pound cake or angel food cake, cubed
- Whipped cream recipe:
- 1 small can (5 oz.) evaporated milk
- 1/2 box (about) confectioner's sugar, sifted
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 12-oz. Cool Whip (can use less)
- Red strawberry glaze, purchased or homemade (ingredients below)
- 1 small box Jello gelatin, dry
- 4 tablespoons self-rising flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Cube cake in one bowl.
- For whipped cream, place chilled evaporated milk in mixing bowl and whip until fluffy. Add sifted confectioner's sugar and sour cream.
- Mix well. Turn off mixer and add in Cool Whip stirring until well blended.
- Slice fresh strawberries or use frozen ones.
- Place Jello, sugar, sifted flour and some of the water, a little at a time to reduce lumping in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until mixture becomes thick and creamy.
- Bring to a boil and boil only a couple of minutes. Boiling longer will make it less thick.
- Cool the mixture and add to strawberries and place in the refrigerator until ready to layer in this recipe.
- For the layering, put a dollop of the whipped cream mixture in the bottom of the glass bowl.
- Add a layer of cubed cake, then some of the berries in the glaze.
- Add another layer of whipped cream mixture, etc. ending with berries for a pretty red color on top.
- Add a big dollop of whipped cream mixture in the center for a nice presentation.
- Store in refrigerator.
This is a beautiful dessert that feeds a crowd. Dip straight down to serve to get some of each layer. Nice for the 4th of July, Christmas or Valentine's Day. The homemade red glaze is easy and inexpensive and better than most purchased types. Enjoy!
RECIPE CONTINUESPREV SECTION | NEXT SECTION