Source of Recipe
List of Ingredients
2 cups sassafras root or bark
2 cups water
4 cups sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 tbsp. butter
- Scrub and peel bark off of roots
- Pulverize roots in a food processor
- Boil water and add ingredients, adding the root bark last
- Remove from heat when it reaches 300-310 degrees and pour into cookie sheet
- Store in tightly sealed glass jars in a cool place (it will retain its taste and hardness for a year or more)
Sassafras can be found at your local health food store that sells bulk goods.
In Centre County PA it is Sweet Annie's in Centre Hall PA. She also sells via mail I believe. She now has a location in State College PA.