roast chutney on cracker or toast
Source of Recipe
I love cocktails or long late-afternoon drinks or leisurely sundowners with light snacks. My favourite drink is white rum in coconut water garnished with fresh green coriander.
My raita-style chutney spread is based on my memory of Indian food flavours from my childhood and my experience of Western cuisine and its creolized versions.
List of Ingredients
- I long hot green chile
- 1 long hot red chile
- 1 medium size onion quartered
- 1 ripe red tomato
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 4 teaspoonsful roasted sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoonsful roasted poppyseeds
- 2 blanched slivered almonds
- 2 cashewnuts
- 2 tablespoonsful balsamico vinegar
- 2 tablespoonsful extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves
- 8 black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoonful sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoonful sugar
- 1/4 teaspoonful powdered mustard
- 1/4 teaspoonful powdered fenugreek seeds
- a few drops of tabasco sauce
- 2 teaspoonsful lemon juice
- crackers or toast
- Roast or grill separately the green and red chile, the onion, the tomato, and the garlic for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Roast separately the sesame seeds and the poppy seeds for
- Grind the fenugreek seeds, the mustard seeds, the black peppercorns, the roasted sesame seeds, and the roasted poppyseed till it becomes a fine blend.
- Add the chiles, tomato, onion, and garlic, the almonds, and the cashew nuts and chop roughly in a blender.
- Add the olive oil, the vinegar, the lemon juice, the tabasco sauce, the salt, and the sugar.
- Put in the blender, pulse action for a minute or more till thoroughly mixed but NOT pureed.
- Spread on crackers or toast cut to cocktail snack size and serve
This is a purely vegetarian cocktail snack but it can be served with oysters, crab or crayfish meat, or shredded chicken as well.