The original recipe was clipped from a magazine several years ago. I've changed it so much through the years I call the final results my own.
List of Ingredients
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 - 28 oz. can tomatoes -- chopped up
- 2 tablespoons wine, lemon juice, or wine vinegar
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 pint cottage cheese
- 3/4 pound mozzarella cheese -- thinly sliced
- Parmesan cheese
- 1 package frozen chopped spinach -- optional
- 1/2 package lasagne noodles -- cooked
- Sauté onion, carrots, celery and garlic in olive oil.
- Add tomatoes, wine, tomato paste and seasonings.
- Cover and simmer several hours. (or throw it in a crockpot on low for the day)
- After 2-3 hours, add mushrooms and brown sugar. Simmer until thick.
- In an oiled 13
- Mix sauce with cottage cheese and smooth 1/2 over noodles.
- Top with Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Add layer of spinach if desired.
- Repeat layers, ending with Mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Bake @ 350° until browned and bubbly, 30-40 minutes.
Serves 8 hungry people.