Onion Garlic Soup
Source of Recipe
List of Ingredients
- 1/2 c. butter
- 6 large sweet onions (2 lb.) - finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves - minced + 1 bulb of garlic, roasted
- 1 t. flour
- 1/2 t. dried thyme or 1 t. fresh
- salt and pepper
- 2 c. chablis
- 2 c. chicken consomme + 2 c. beef broth
- 4 eggs
- 6 oz. grated gruyere cheese
- 4 T. whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a pan that can go from stove top to oven. Saute onions and garlic very slowly. Add flour and brown. Blend in thyme, salt and pepper. Add wine. Add roasted garlic. Simmer 30 minutes.
- Add consomme and beef broth and bring to a boil.
- Bake soup for 2 hours. Ladle soup into oven proof bowls. Add one lightly beaten egg to each bowl. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 10 minutes. Top with 1 T. whipping cream each.
Serve with plenty of bread to sop the soup.