Candy Cane Rolls
Source of Recipe
Master Chef Don's 2008 Collection
Yield: 24 Rolls
Categories: Appetizers/ Snacks, Bread Machine Recipes, Holiday, Sweet Breads and Coffee Cakes
Recipe Link: RecipeCircus.com/recipes/MasterChefDon
List of Ingredients
3 cups bread flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons Fleischmann's® Bread Machine Yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water (70 to 80ºF)
1/3 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, cut up
1 large egg
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup chopped candied cherries, optional
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon peel
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk (1 to 2 tablespoons)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Dough can be prepared in all-size bread machines.
2. To make dough: Measure all dough ingredients into bread machine pan in the order suggested by manufacturer. Process on dough/manual cycle.
3. To make filling: In small bowl, combine filling ingredients; set aside.
4. To shape and fill: When cycle is complete, remove dough to floured surface. If necessary, knead in additional flour to make dough easy to handle. Divide dough in half; roll one half to 14 × 12-inch rectangle. Spread half of filling evenly over half of rectangle, covering 12 × 7 inches of dough. Fold dough in half to enclose filling; pinch edges to seal. Cut crosswise into 12 strips. Repeat with remaining dough. Holding ends of each strip, twist in opposite directions 5 to 6 times. Place on 2 greased large baking sheets, curving one end of each strip to form cane; cover. Place 2 large shallow pans on counter; half-fill with boiling water. Place baking sheets on pans; let dough rise 15 minutes.
5. Bake at 375ºF for 12 to 15 minutes or until done. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks.
6. To make icing: In small bowl, combine icing ingredients; stir until smooth. Drizzle on rolls.