Acini De Pepe Fruit Salad
Source of Recipe
Master Chef Don Easley
Notes: Acini dep pepe is a small round pasta resembling bb shot.
List of Ingredients
38 ounces acini de pepe (AP) (see notes)
2 gallons boiling water
1 ounce salt (1 1/2 tbsp)
7 ounces granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups pineapple juice drained from pineapple
3 ounces eggs (about 2 total), beaten
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 pound mandarin oranges, drained
28 ounces crushed pineapple, drained
28 ounces pineapple tidbits, drained
1 1/4 cups whipped topping
1. Cook pasta according to directions on p. 369. Drain and cool slightly. There should be 7 lb 8 oz cooked product. Save for later step.
2. Combine sugar, flour, and salt in steam-jacketed kettle.
3. Pour juice slowly into mixture while stirring with wire whip. Cook over moderate heat, stirring until slightly thickened.
4. Stir a small amount of the hot mixture into eggs, then stir eggs into the hot mixture. Cook and stir until thickened, 190°F.
5. Add lemon juice. Cool to room temperature. Combine with cooked pasta. Mix lightly. Chill.
6. Add fruit to pasta mixture. Mix lightly but thoroughly.
7. Whip topping to stiff peaks. There should be 2 1/2 cups whipped. Fold into salad. Chill until served. Serve with No. 8 dipper.