Wild Boar Roast w/Chilies & Sweet Spices
Source of Recipe
Master Chef Don Easley
List of Ingredients
3 pounds boneless roast boar from the leg or shoulder
3 large dried California or New Mexico chilies
2 teaspoons seeded, minced fresh serrano chilies
1-1/4 cups dry red wine
½ cup fresh orange juice
¼ cup red wine vinegar
4 tablespoons chopped garlic
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
2 ponds onions, peeled and thinly sliced
1/3 cup golden raisins
1. Trim all excess fat and sinew from roast.
2. Remove stems and seeds from dried chilies.
Rinse and place in a sauce pan with water to cover.
Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and allow to sit for one hour. Drain.
3. Add drained softened chilies, fresh chili, wine, orange juice, vinegar, garlic, spices and salt to a blender and puree until smooth.
4. Scatter half the onion and raisins in a roasting pan and place the boar roast on top.
Scatter remaining onions and raisins over the roast and then pour the chili puree on the roast.
5. Cover tightly and bake in a preheated 350ºF oven until boar is very tender, 3 to 4 hours.