Mom's Rich Egg Bread
As you can tell from the name, I got this recipe from my mom. It makes 2 loaves.
List of Ingredients
- 1 1/2 c milk
- 1/4 c Crisco
- 1/2 c warm water
- pinch of sugar
- 2 pkg yeast
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1 T salt
- 3 eggs
- 5-7 c flour
- Scald milk. Remove from heat and add Crisco. Cool to luke warm (make sure the Crisco is melted).
- Mix pinch of sugar with warm water. Pour yeast on top. Let sit.
- In large bowl combine 1/4 c sugar, salt, and eggs. Add milk mix.
- Add 2 c flour to mixture. Whisk until smooth.
- Add yeast mix. Whisk until smooth.
- Add flour 1 c at a time. Whisk until absorbed.
- When too thick to stir, dump onto floured surface.
- Add flour 1/2 c at a time. Knead into dough. (Keep the surface well floured).
- When dough feels like a "babies bottom" stop adding flour. (This includes the floured counter). Knead for 5 minutes--VERY IMPORTANT!!
- Place dough into a greased bowl. Grease the top of the dough.
- Cover with clean, dry towel. Set in a warm, draft-free place.* Let dough double in size.
- When dough has risen fully punch it down and divide it in half. Knead an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Make into loaves an place in greased loaf pans. Grease top of dough.
- Cover with towel and set in warm place again. Let them double in size again.
- When fully risen, bake at 425 for 25-30 minutes.
* Heat oven to lowest temperature. Turn oven off and place bread inside. Make sure there is enough head room for dough to rise completely.
To test for done: Remove one loaf from pan and tap bottom. It should sound hollow and bounce back when squeezed slightly.