Butterscotch Cream Pie
My Mother use to make pies like this when I was small. She did not follow a recipe and I tried many recipes that didn't taste like hers, until I found this one in an Amish cookbook,and this is just like my mom's.
List of Ingredients
- 1 cup Brown Sugar, lightly packed
- 3 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 - 9" pie shell - Baked.
- Mix thoroughly in a sauce pan the brown sugar,cornstarch,salt and egg yolks.
- Stir in gradually the milk and water.(Plain milk can also be used).
- Add 2 Tbls. Butter or Margarine.Cook and stir over low heat until thickened, about 10 minutes.`
- Remove from heat and stir in 3/4 teas. Vanilla. Cover and Cool thoroughly.
- Put into a 9" baked pastry shell. Spread with Meringue and brown. very good!!
I use Dream whip on top of pie instead of Meringue.