Frosted Orange Pie
from: Taste of Home magazine. The woman it is from said she found this recipe in an old church cookbook.
List of Ingredients
- 1 un- baked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 Tbls. grated orange peel and 1/2 tsp. lemon peel
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 Tbls. lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 2 Tbls. water
- 1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted, optional
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double-thickness of heavy duty foil. Bake 450 degrees for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt; gradually add water. Cook and stir over medium -high heat for 2-3 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Gradually stir 1/2 cup of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in orange and lemon peels. Gently stir in juices. Pour into baked shell. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerater for at least 3 hours.
- In a heavy saucepan or double boiler, combine sugar, egg whites, water, cream of tartar and salt. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low speed over low heat until frosting reaches 160 degrees, about 8-10 minutes. Pour into a large mixing bowl. Beat on high speed until frosting forms stiff peaks, about 7 minutes. Spread over chilled pie filling. Just before serving, sprinkle with coconut. Store in refrigerator.
- Yield; 6-8 servings
A stand mixer is recommended for beating the frosting after it reaches 160 degrees.`
Note: Dream Whip whipped topping would be just as good on this pie and less time and work.