Chicken Cordon Bleu with Lemon Butter Sauce
Source of Recipe
Chef Albert - Cook Like a Pro - Family Circle, 4/3/90
List of Ingredients
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, flattened to 1/4 inch thickness
- 3 oz. cooked smoked ham (6 slices)
- 3 oz. Swiss cheese (6 slices)
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teasoon white pepper
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1-1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- vegetable oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Fold each cheese slice in half and wrap it with a slice of ham. Roll each chicken breast around a ham/cheese wrap and secure with toothpicks if needed. Refrigerate for 30 minutes (this helps it hold its shape during cooking).
- Combine flour, salt & pepper. Beat egg and water together in a shallow dish. Coat the chicken rolls with the seasoned flour, dip into the egg and then coat with crumbs. Refrigerate once more for a short while (this helps the crumb coating stay put during cooking).
- Saute chicken in 1/4 inch of hot vegetable oil in a large skillet until golden - about 10 minutes - turning once. Transfer to baking sheet and bake in 325F oven for another 15-20 minutes.
- Melt butter over low heat; stir in lemon juice. To serve, transfer chicken to serving platter and spoon lemon-butter over. Garnish with fresh sprigs of parsley and lemon wedges.