Sour Cream Chocolate Cupcakes
Source of Recipe
Cream Cheese or Sour Cream
List of Ingredients
1 (18.5-ounce) package plain devil's food cake mix
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water or cooled coffee
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Sour Cream Frosting (recipe follows)
1. Preheat the oven to 350*F (180*C). Line cupcake pans with 18 to 20 paper
liners. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat the cake mix, cocoa powder, sour cream, oil,
water or coffee, eggs, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed
3 minutes. Pour the batter into the prepared cupcake pans, filling each
cupcake liner three-quarters full.
3. Bake for 28 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of a
cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove cupcakes and
cool completely on wire racks.
4. Frost the tops of cooled cupcakes with the Sour Cream Frosting.
Makes 18 to 20 cupcakes.
Sour Cream Frosting
1/4 cup butter
3 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 cup sour cream
2 1/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons hot water or coffee
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Melt the butter and chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring
until mixture has melted. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Stir in the
2. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add the powdered sugar and water
or coffee and vanilla and beat until mixture is smooth, adding more powdered
sugar or hot water/coffee if needed to obtain a spreading consistency. Frost
the tops of cupcakes.