Shrimp with Basil and Fresh Tomatoes
Source of Recipe
• 12 ounces fresh or frozen peeled and deveined medium shrimp
• 1 tablespoon cooking oil
• 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 cups chopped, plum or common tomatoes
• 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
• 1 tablespoon drained capers (optional)
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon pepper
• 8 ounces spaghetti or other pasta, cooked and drained
• 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
• Fresh basil leaves (optional)
1. Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Set aside.
2. Pour cooking oil into a wok or large skillet. (Add more oil as necessary during cooking.) Preheat over medium-high heat. Stir-fry onion and garlic in hot oil for 2 mintues or until onions are crisp-tender. Remove onion mixture from the wok.
3. Add shrimp to the hot wok. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp turn opaque.
4. Return onion mixture to the wok. Add tomatoes, basil, capers (if desired), salt, and pepper. Stir all ingredients together. Cook and stir for 1 minute more or until heated through. Serve immediately over hot cooked spaghetti or other pasta. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Garnish with fresh basil leaves, if desired. Makes 4 servings.